03-22-2012 10:16 AM - edited 03-23-2012 09:33 AM
You may post your experiences in this thread.
03-22-2012 11:55 AM
this version does not show the "leakage" of files from the GUIs that 220.127.116.11 did. With me it also uses much less RAM than 18.104.22.168. did. I hope that that is the end of everybodys troubles.
03-22-2012 05:46 PM - edited 03-23-2012 04:07 PM
Thanks for trying it and reporting to all. I found with earlier versions that the drain on resources (apparently I am not allowed to say "resources-s u c k") started to build up after a period of use. So could you let us know whether CPU and memory usage remains good after a few weeks.
03-23-2012 02:13 PM
This update has been an absolute disaster !!
I was running v22.214.171.124 - WD Smartware advised me to update. Downloaded update and tried to apply it - failed.
Rebooted and tried to update again - failed.
Rebooted and tried to open WDSmartware assuming MSI had reverted back to v126.96.36.199 - nothing !
Tried to reinstall v188.8.131.52 using previous updater - failed saying I was already running v184.108.40.206.
Tried a repair - failed saying couldn't find critical MSI files in C:\Program Files\....
Tried to uninstall - failed.
I am now locked out of my WD drive with its vital data as WD Smartware won't run to allow me to enter my decryption password.
Thanks very much for nothing !!!!
O/S - Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 X64 with all MS patches.
03-23-2012 02:16 PM
I downloaded --WDSmartWare_Software_Upgrader_for_Windows_1.5.4.
I then installed the WDSmartWare_Software_Upgrader_for_Windows_220.127.116.11 and it installed just fine.
So at this point the 18.104.22.168B version won't work for me. By the way I thought the update version was 22.214.171.124?
If any body has help for me please let me know.
03-23-2012 06:10 PM
Installed this afternoon. Very clunky installation, had to restart twice, but got installed. At one point pop-up said it was 126.96.36.199 but now says 188.8.131.52. STILL DOES NOT WORK RIGHT.
Came home just now and RAM was full from WDFME.exe locking up machine.
I have 12.27 GB RAM, when I got home I was using 12.16 of it. Over 10 GB's of that was from WDFME.exe.
03-23-2012 08:31 PM - edited 03-23-2012 08:38 PM
Sorry WD... you people STILL can't make software that works. I upgraded...
(1) So far, I'm sitting here 2+ hours, and the software still consumes my computer, "Categorizing files". Come on! Norton's full system/disk scan doesn't take that long
(2) I "turned off" backup, hoping that would free up my system long enough to be able to select the files/folders I want backed up. Even with Backup turned off WDFME.exe and the other tasks continue to consume 100% of my CPU.
03-24-2012 01:43 PM
After updating yesterday I found that my old MyBook drive is not being recognized. It shows up as a local drive without any content. Not sure yet this has anything to do with the Smartware 184.108.40.206 update but I will be after I try it on another PC.
Like another post which I now can't find, when I brought up Smartware for my Passport drive after the update I had trouble with the gray tabs for Backup, Retrieve and, within Settings, the Drive Settings. The reply to that post said click on the remote drive icon. That solved it all right. But why was this change in basic operation even necessary?
I thought it might be due to mulitple drives but I have only one connected. And just like the user in the post that disappeared, I thought there was something wrong with how my update was installed. I spent several hours trying to reinstall and rebooting, as well as disconnecting and reconnecting the Passport drive.
03-25-2012 05:02 AM
Performed to update and like other can no longer aproach my data on the backup.
The tabs back up and recover remain gray and i can only adjust the pc settings and not the drive settings.
thanks for this update
03-25-2012 09:32 AM
As rodavis44 says, try clicking on the remote drive icon, ie on the Home Tab give a single left click on the icon for 'My Passport Essential', or what ever your WD drive is called, and that should bring up the backup and retrieve tabs. You have to do this every time you open Smartware from Quick View. Definitely not an improvement to the previous version.