12-28-2011 01:05 PM
Nope, too much faffing around, shouldn't have to kill anything, it should just work.......
The software is installed on a work laptop. I needed to get permission to get it installed and I don't have admin rights to stop services etc. so I can't do any of this.
The fact is it should work.
01-02-2012 10:07 PM - edited 01-02-2012 10:18 PM
Hello, I seem to have exactly the same problem. The funny thing is it was not so noticeable before and seems to be getting worse with time. I wonder if WDFME has been negatively impacted by Windows updates and WD has not been able to keep up.
There were performance problems with this software in previous versions that were eventually resolved.
I agree that customers should expect the software bundled with the drive to work acceptably. I am not impressed with WDs track record.
I am using Windows 7 64 bit Family edition (Premium) Service Pack 1
02-01-2012 08:41 AM
For what it's worth for any WD techs that read this thread, I had the same problem. My system was crawling and when I went to find out why I found WDFME.EXE using up 6.2GB of the 8GB of RAM installed on my Win7 x64 system. And I don't even use the backup software - I manually drag things to the external drives when I want an archival copy.
This behavior appeared recently - I've never had it happen before. I also recently updated my system with a number of windows updates so I'm thinking that actually might be the cause as someone else suggested earlier.
02-07-2012 11:53 PM
I am experiencing the same problem for months now.
As soon as WDFME.exe is running my system (Win XP) becomes very slow. WDFME.exe is using most of the virtual memory. When I kill this process the performance improves considerably.
02-13-2012 08:32 AM
I called WD tech support on 2/10/12 and discussed this WDFME resource problem with them. When I told them this issue got worse after the upgrade to version 220.127.116.11, they said it sounds like a bad installation. Do a complete WD Smartware program removal and re-installation. I tried that and now everything works 90% better. I did this 3 days ago and have been monitoring it. It does its thing for a few minutes on start-up and then gets out of the way. I have been using the Category backup. I selected the "run backup when computer is idle" box.
Hope this helps.
02-13-2012 08:38 AM
Many os us have already been told that same thing ("Bad installation"), and have uninstalled, and re-installed, but it hasn't helped at all. ("Bad installation" is also a WD problem!)
02-22-2012 03:01 PM
Thanks --- I did what you suggested --- removed WD Smartware and reinstalled, restarted system, set to update when idle ----- greatly improved!! Many thanks---- regards, GG